Two night stay at Kosair Children's Hospital

The day after my bday, the Skees family wasn't feeling so hot. I had been dragging all weekend - which I thought was because Ricky and I enjoyed a rare night out with some friends that Friday. But it must have been a virus that we all had...Ethan and Aiden had both been feeling rotten. Noses running like hoses, coughing, and itchy, red, watery eyes. We thought it was allergies for the most part and just continued to do Aiden's breathing treatments, giving him a little Tylenol here and there for his discomfort.

But on Monday, after I begged Ricky to stay home from work because I was feeling so crummy that I couldn't even pull myself out of bed (and trust me, this is rare), I heard Aiden's developmental therapist arrive for his 11 o'clock session. They were talking and I heard Ricky say "Yes, I'm going to call the doctor". I sprang from bed and ran downstairs to find out what was going on. Poor Aiden was hacking up a storm, crying, and sweaty from head to toe. He seemed to be having a hard time breathing normally. The therapist looked very concerned which in turn had us very worried.

Long story short, Aiden went to the pediatrician and they found that he had a fever and ear infections. They wanted his breathing and oxygen levels to be checked, so they sent us to Kosair. There, they diagnosed him with Bronchiolitis (click the link to see exactly what it is). His oxygen levels were a little low and dipped lower every time he fell asleep - this can be common, but the normal level is supposed to be between 94-98 and his hovered right at 90, dipping to 86-88 when sleeping.

They eventually decided to give him extra O2 through a nasal canula and gradually weaned him off to see if he could keep his levels up. After 3 days and 2 nights of monitoring, they felt that he was improving enough to go home.

We will continue to do the breathing treatments that we had been doing at home using the nebulizer and they put him on an allergy/asthma medicine as well. I'm happy to report that he is sounding MUCH better and it seems he is finally kicking this bug. Funny thing is he never really fussed much during his hospital stay (except when they were suctioning out his nose/mouth or adjusting the nasal canula). The nurses all fell in love with him...but really, how could they not...

PS - There's something about hospital food that I can't quite stomach. Luckily, my brother-in-law Justin brought me dinner one night since he works near Kosair and my Aunt Mary was kind enough to bring me lunch one day. The food was much appreciated but even more, chatting with them helped to keep my spirits up! Thank you!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment