Hey good lookin'...keep on cookin'!

Dearest Hudson,

I know I've been complaining a lot lately about how uncomfortable I am.
And I know you can hear all the fun things your big brothers do throughout the day.
But all that aside, you need to stay put for a few more weeks, you hear me?

Love, Mommy


On Wednesday, just after turning 29 weeks, I was sitting at my computer when I began feeling contractions. This wasn't the first time - I've been experiencing Braxton Hicks for a few weeks now - but as they came and went in succession I started to jot down the times on my notepad next to me.


This went on for almost an hour. Ricky called at one point to let me know he was on his way home from doing business in San Antonio. I didn't want to worry him so I didn't mention the contractions.


Hmmm...I decided I better call the doctor, knowing they were going to advise me to head to the hospital to be monitored.

The boys were home with me and with Ricky still 30-45 minutes away, I laid down in bed and guzzled some water, hoping the pesky contractions would subside. 

No such luck.

I hesitantly called the neighbor, interrupting her work-from-home schedule mid-day and asked if she'd be so kind to let me drop the boys with her so I could drive myself to the hospital. She of course, was ready and willing.

Finally, I called Ricky to tell him what was going on. He remained calm and continued towards home.

Once at the hospital, and hooked up to various monitors, it was evident with the rise and fall of the squiggly line on the screen that I was indeed experiencing pretty good contractions. Three to four minutes apart. 

*This isn't my actual monitoring. I got the image here.

Two bags of IV fluid later with only slight calming of my uterus, it was decided that I would need a fetal fibernectin test. This swab would determine if there was a presence of a glue-like substance that may indicate early labor is imminent. Because the results would take up to 24 hours, they sent me on my way with an order for bed rest. Fun!

Luckily, the fetal fibernectin test came back negative (phew!) and I was able to stay in bed all day Thursday while the boys were at school. 

While I am still having some contractions, they are quite sporadic. Nothing like the regular intervals on Wednesday. So the plan for now is to go to my 30 week appointment on Tuesday and discuss a plan for going forward. 

Having experienced preterm labor with both other pregnancies, I am not surprised this happened. However I am hopeful this was an isolated incident and I can make it to at least 36 weeks without any further medical intervention or continued bed rest. 

No comments :

Post a Comment